Thursday 14 January 2016

Thomson Airways 787-8 Dreamliner MAN-BGI flight review

Flight 108 on Thomson's latest Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner which was only just 2 weeks old on the time we flew on it. Knowing this I was expecting a very good standard of service and expectation and I was not disappointed.
    We arrived at the airport around 8:30 and checked in smoothly and quickly with a very small queue. We were greeted by a friendly c member of staff who made check in calm and easy. After that we were off to security which again went calmly and smoothly. After proceeding through Manchester airport Terminal 2 we arrived at gate 202 where our aircraft (G-TUIG) was on stand waiting for us to board. Boarding commenced just after 10 am and we were quickly through and walking down the air bridge towards our ride for the next 8 and a half hours. We were greeted by a warm friendly cabin crew member who directed us to our seats. Thomson's latest 787 aircraft was very impressive and I was taken back by the sheer space and height of the cabin. The aisle was nice and wind with plenty of room for hand luggage to be wheeled and the height of cabin created a very open feel with a nice cool temperature and relaxing feel.

The seats themselves were very impressive to look at with a 3-3-3 configuration. The adjustable headrests were nice and comfortable and the same could be said for the seats.
I was seated in row 26  and the nicely sized screen and seat pocket made it easy to store a bottle of water. The legroom was lovely. Myself being 5ft 6, I had plenty of room to stretch my legs. The windows were big and wide which let a lot of natural light in which made the aircraft feel spacious and relaxed. The overhead lockers were also nice and big with plenty of storage space.
    After everyone was boarded and seated the cabin crew did their final checks before we pushed back from Manchester Airports terminal 2 and headed to runway 05L. After a very short taxi we headed straight onto the runway and of we went. The General electric engines powered us down the runway and I was surprised at how quiet the engines were. After climbing to our cruising altitude of 42,000ft the inflight entertainment systems came on and I flicked through the selections of movies and other media options. With over 20 movies and plenty of games and TV shows I was not disappointed.
      The cabin crew also showed the mood lighting system also known as the TUI wave which was very impressive with many different colours which made the cabin feel calm. The windows were also dimmed down to a dark blue colour which also contributed to the mood of the cabin.
       After around an hour or so the first bar service came round with a selection of free alcoholic or non-alcoholic drinks.
    Then a few hours after that the meal was served, which was pasta bake which I have to say was very nice. The meal was served with a selection of others elements such a bread role, water a dessert and a few other things.
      After that the flight went calmly and smoothly and I have to say I felt very relaxed and energised the whole journey.
    Around 2 hours before our arrival into Bridgetown an afternoon tea meal was served which consisted of a scone and small sandwich. Then at around 15:30 in the afternoon we touched down at Grantley Adams International Airport in Barbados. After the nearly 9 hour flight I was surprised how energised and relaxed I felt after coming of a long haul flight.
   After a few minutes waiting we departed by steps of the aircraft and onto a bus to the terminal.
   Overall I couldn't fault the flight or the cleanliness of the aircraft or the friendliness of the cabin crew. The flight went very smoothly and quickly and overall was a very enjoyable experience. From start to finish the journey was excellent. 









1 comment:

  1. I'm frightened of flying only ever been on a plane once. My son & family live in Las Vegas & bought my fare for Oct 19. I found your approach Gatwick YouTube video. Amazing with the calming music. I watch it over & over again - think it's doing the trick for me. Wonderful. So thank you MT Aviation

    ReplyDelete